Monday, October 30, 2006

Game Over 2006...

Smålandskavlen just behind me, i am really feeling happy that my season is over for this year. Now it`s time to rest and take it easy. There is some good parties going on, like “gubbefest”, but aswell i wanna spend time with Vibeke, spend time to think about future, time to learn and study…and time to do what ever I want to do. Nice….

But first, …Smålandskavlen. My goal was, to get top 30 with the team. We nearly made it. We got 36th Place and best second team. Mattias lost a bit time on his night-leg, while erik was doing a really good job in the forest. After the night we were 17min. behind the leading team IKHP, but just 12min behind the “big pack” of ( Leksands, Linnè, Kalevan Rasti, osv. and our first team).
Martin Jullum ran an excellent leg. He actually gained some time to IKHP, but lost just some small time to the “big pack”. He changed over to me round about 20-30sec. behind a bigger group, which I was ready to fight for and catch.




I went out quite hungry, but already the first control seemed to me to be a task. I ran quite straight and was not finding the right speed through the open areas, so I lost some seconds there. After a while I caught up the first teams of that bigger group, which went out just in front of me. Surprisingly though, there was not really a big group left anymore, so I did not know if I lost already to much time, or if that group had split up. On the way to the 8th control I caught up a guy from Viborg. He had good pace, so I stayed with him on the long leg. Then I decided on the very last bit to go around the house at the east-southside, while he decided the west-southside. I lost some time, caused by the open area, where trees were lying down, but I could close the gap to him by the next control.




Then the leading always changed and on the second long leg we drifted a bit to far to east when I took the lead. From control “72” I checked the compass, but followed the paths aswell, so we ended up too far east, as I was the leader at this point I thought we will be right, after checking my compass, and went straight on the open area, but had to realize we were too far east, so back on the road, and I was some meters behind, but my legs felt fresh. To the next control I sped up and could get on top of our little group again. As there were many fallen trees on the edge of the hill I decided to go up and from there to the control. To the second last control I was just following the compass and did not read the map at all on the first part, when we came to the big road I saw the yellow area and was just trying to take up the speed as fast as possible so I could get a bit away from the Viborg-guy, coming into the finish with a running time of 75minutes.



photo by erik thorsson

I am really satisfied with that run, no big mistakes, just some really small ones. My speed was maybe a bit slow in the beginning, but anyway, I am happy to end my season with good feelings of a nice orienteering and good pace.
Martin Schälli did his job, and was running a safe and good race,…poor him, he lost a sprint-finish-battle…we gotta work on that in the winter ;)
Our first team won and I think it was a really nice way to say “bye bye” to Kari Arponen, who is moving back to Finland. I wanna “thank you” to Kari aswell, for giving me always good tasks in big relays and aswell a task in the daily trainings.
As everybody knows, Kenneth Buch is going to be the new trainer in Halden…and I am looking forward to that..
Smålandskavlen is a really nice competition and a good way to end the season.
Orienteering I will be back for… but I am done for now!

Results of Smålandskavlen

No comments: